Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Pressing on for a Happier New Year!

It's been over a month since my last blog! The Advent season of December really puts a time pressure on many of us and I confess I fell into the "busy trap". Sorry!
As I reflect on the past year, I observe that it was either very memorable (the historic economy and the election) or very forgettable (the historic economy and the election), depending on your perspective. One thing to remember: This too, shall pass!
Now, as we look ahead to a new year, I get excited for a clean slate. My planning calendar is fairly clean and I haven't made any bonehead mistakes in 2009...yet! I know, I'll probably blow that perfect record within the first few hours after midnight tonight!
But I'm encouraged by what the Apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:12,
"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (NIV)
It seems to me that instead of making cliche and half-hearted resolutions for the new year, we should, by God's grace and mercy, leave 2008 behind. Ask for and receive Christ's forgiveness from your sins, then forgive yourself and others.
Now, in 2009, we do well to press on toward the Goal of the Prize of the Upward call of God in Christ! Seek His heart for His plans for your life this year. As He reveals Himself to you and you pursue obedience to Him, you will find that Happiness will be following you wherever you go!

1 comment:

Ruthie Oberg said...

Hooray for a new year and a clean calendar and journal!